Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Getting Fit and Losing Weight

     For the past few months Jim and I have been in a program sponsered by BYU called Y-Be-Fit.  We have both been struggling with our health, which includes our weight and fitness level.  Jim saw the sale that BYU was having on all their PE clothes and we decided to get some.  We knew we wanted to start an exercise program and the price was right on their new shorts and shirts.  While we were there, I saw the YBF office and went in to check things out.  It turns out that our BYU insurance pays for the program so we signed up, not realizing just what we were getting into. 

     The program started with  us going through a battery of tests and answering hundreds of questions.  The tests included blood tests for cholesterol and glucose tolerance; cardio tests for our starting cardio fitness; strength tests for, well, strength; flexibility tests; body composition, measurements, and weight.  The last test used to be done in a pool of water where they do some complex calculations based on how much water your body displaces when it is totally submerged.  I was really concerned about that one because I am so totally claustrophobic and cannot put my face in water.  But I was going to do it if it killed me, and I thought it just might.  It turns out that they have a new thing to test that.  We had to get in swimsuits and put tight covers over our hair.  Then we were put in what they called a pod, but it just looked like a big egg with a small window in front.  We had to sit on a seat inside and the pod was filled with air.  It was calibrated to check our weight and body fat percentage.  I kept my eyes closed the whole time.  Even though there was a little window, it was still a very small space and I was shut in it and I'm starting to panic even now.  So I kept my eyes shut and envisioned my big, spacious meadow on a glorious sunny day.  Ahhh!  That's better.

     The next week when we went for our appointment, we were given books with each of our information recorded in them.  All the test results were there as was a comparison of  each item to what they should be to be healthy.  I was better on some things than I thought and not so good on others.  We thought that was all there was to the program, but there was more.  We go every week for a counseling session with  Megan, who is trained in helping people improve their lifestyles.  It's not just a weight loss thing, it's a lifestyle thing we are into.  We have talked about cardio and strength exercises, food choices, stress management and all kinds of things to help us improve our overall health and lifestyle.  It's been great.  She doesn't check our weight loss or lack thereof.  We just talk on how we can make our lives better and she gives us advice and printouts from studies and things to help us. 

     That is for three months.  We are almost to the end of our three months.  We will then go back for another round of tests and see how we are doing.  I had a goal to lose 10 lbs during this period and I think I'm going to make it.  It is much harder for me to lose the weight than Jim because, for one, I'm female and we do love to hold on to our fat reserves.  I also have an under-active thyroid, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, a hundred excuses, and I want to eat donuts and chocolate and cookies.    It's actually taken me two of the three months to "embrace" the program.  I've kind of watched what I eat and I do exercise pretty regularly.  But those chocolate feet they sell at Terrel's bakery have done me in. 

     The trip to the Unitah's was the start of me getting serious about things.  I have been exercising regularly, both cardio and strength training.  I have been counting calories.  I use a  website called www.Sparkpeople.com.  It helps me keep track of calories and exercise and gives a lot of sound advice about losing weight.  I also have been reading some weight loss blogs.  When I see others who have hundreds of pounds to lose actually losing hundreds of pounds, I think, "Surely, I can lose 40 lbs." 

     So here is the ugly truth about how I have let myself go.  I was a stick in high school and college and at a good weight until after Janae was born.  I was lucky that I didn't have to do anything to keep thin back then, but I also never learned how to eat like I should and keep myself healthy.  So, here is the old dog, she's learning some new tricks.  I'm counting on all of you, my family and my friends, to help keep me in line.  Encouraging comments and healthy recipes will be appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to help keep you in line, but I need help too. The problem is that I get in my moods and I won't listen to anyone. I'm really quite huge here and sometimes I hate it, and other times I'm comfortable in my own skin.(a blessing and a curse) I know it has to be a life change and it is a battle I will have to fight for my entire life. (an easier battle if I got in good habits though). I get all motivated sometimes, but then indulge. Tonight it was chocolate covered strawberries. Do you have any suggestions? I know it helps when your spouse is doing well. Eric does great on his on weeks.(He has me pack salad, carrots, and fruit for his 'lunch') But last week he wanted to eat out every day. Any help would be great.

    ReplyDelete